Hey, kids. I'm the author of the crime thriller novel, Cleansing Eden, the Maynard Soloman crime humor short story series and numerous flash fiction pieces sprinkled throughout the shadowy hallways of the Internet. In 2014, Writer's Digest will publish my guide to writing firearms and knives accurately in fiction.
I like publishing fiction on the side, but my professional career is working as an online editor for a non-fiction publisher of magazines, books, television shows and digital content. I've worked as a reporter for a few newspapers, too.
I have a degree in journalism and a minor in creative writing from St. Cloud State University, Minnesota, but the wall space in my office is reserved for hanging all my cooking awards. I currently have a lot of wall space and a messy kitchen.
Click here to sign up for my cool e-newsletter. I'm from Minnesota, the home of SPAM, but I promise not to send you any.
Contact me by e-mail at bsobieck [at] journalist [dot] com.
Eight Things About Me
1) In 2010, a living donor gave me a kidney. It's the only reason I'm writing today. The donor is still happy and healthy. I was lucky. Roughly 113,000 are hoping they will be, too, but 18 die every day. It's my mission to write the highest quality fiction and use it as a platform to help transplant patients. If you click here and donate any amount to the National Kidney Foundation, I'll give you my entire e-book catalog for free. Just e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org with a donation receipt.
2) My favorite food is and always will be peanut butter. Chunky, please.
3) I've always enjoyed cooking. Thankfully, I've also kept polite company.
4) I still read print newspapers. I'm all about the digital age, but I still like digesting the news in print. My wife and I both worked as newspaper crime reporters before coming to our current jobs.
5) I'm a big fan of horror movies. I used to rent old video tapes with my friends from this dump down the road. The B-horror movies were so bad. And at the same time, so good.
6) My favorite author is Elmore Leonard.
7) I was in a garage band in high school and college. It was called Soylent Laxatives. Listen to our songs here on MySpace. (Wow, that felt weird to type. MySpace? Really?)
8) Although some parts of Maynard Soloman are based on me, one that is not is living in a Winnebago RV. I don't. So stop asking me for a ride.