Guns. Knives. Books.


Join Me for a Live Webinar on Writing Firearms and Knives

Posted on September 12, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Remember that little (virtual) trip out to Burbank, Calif., I mentioned a couple posts back? The one about a partnership with The Writers Store, the premier online store for screenwriters and all manner of other writerly folk? If not, I guess we're past of the point of needing to click to read it. But that was only a preview. Here's the real deal gist.


The Writers Store asked that I host a live webinar for its screenwriter customers (again, not necessarily limited to that type of writer, but that's the target audience). The topic will be on writing firearms and knives, aptly named "The Secret to Writing Firearms and Knives."


The live event takes place at 1 p.m. Pacific/4 p.m. Eastern on Tuesday, Sept. 30. A seat at the webinar is $69.99, and I promise it's well worth it. Here's the description of what to expect.


In this presentation, Ben Sobieck, author of the Weapons for Writers: A Practical Reference for Using Firearms and Knives in Fiction (Writer's Digest Books, Summer 2015), will boil the complex world of firearms and knives into key points you can use right away to avoid the trope trap.

It doesn't matter if you grew up around these items or have no interest in ever shooting a gun, you'll have a firm grasp of key concepts and a leg up in the competitive writing market.



  • The best-kept secret to writing firearms and knives like a pro without knowing anything about them (shhhhh...)
  • The top 10 firearm and knife depictions most writers get wrong
  • True stories of what it's like to be shot and stabbed, as told by writers who have experienced both first-hand
  • The 10 go-to firearms and knives to write into any scene
  • Key terminology for a bullseye every time
  • Much, much more from a presenter who works full-time in firearm/knife publishing and writes fiction on the side


Oh, wow, really? I have to do all that? Shiste, I'm in this thing pretty deep.


Wait, I mean, of course I'm able to handle that load. I did write a monster tome for Writer's Digest on this exact topic. The difference between the two is this live webinar allows you access to ask questions, and I'll boil things way down without getting into the nitty gritty technical details that I do in the book. It's a crash course, condensed version of the book.


I'll also extend my services (i.e. answering "What kind of gun/knife would an XYZ carry?" type questions) to anyone attending the live webinar.


For those unable to make the live event, a download will be available for purchase afterward. However, you won't be able to ask questions, due to the constraints of the space-time continuum.


I hope you'll be able to attend. See you then.


Click here to attend a live webinar from The Writers Store on how to write firearms and knives.

Categories: On Writing Guns, On Writing Knives

Post a Comment


Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.